A while back my awesome LBS gave me a box of carbon tubes and lugs and said “You’re the right person to give these too!”. And with that I had 4 frames to build, one of which I’ve completed. Take a squizz:
The process wasn’t a simple one. Here’s what I did:
- Bonded all carbon tubes and dropouts together
- Sanded and filed those back.
- Drilled and riveted front derailleur clamp
- Drilled and set water bottle bosses
- Drilled custom internal cable routing
- 3D printed custom rear brake boss
- 3D printed cable stop for front derailleur cable
- Masked and handpainted the colour stripes with enamel paint
- Flat black enamel spray followed by 3 coats of gloss enamel spray.
What does this mean for bamboo? Well, I don’t know at this stage. It’s certainly easier working with full carbon, pre-made tubes! Maybe there’ll be another bamboo bike made soon… only time will tell.